Lemon, Crème Fraiche and Chestnut Cake
A very popular cake that featured at a recent Natural Food Store tasting session. Many of you asked for the recipe, so here it is. All the ingredients can be bought instore, except the lemon which you can get from Keith Harris opposite us.
Thanks to the BBC Good Food website.
- Butter, for greasing
- 4 eggs, separated
- 125g caster sugar
- 200g tub crème fraiche
- 1 large unwaxed lemon
- 125 g chestnut flour
- 2 tsp baking powder (gluten free if necessary)
- Icing sugar for dusting
- Heat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/gas 4. Butter and line the base of a 20cm round cake tin.
- Put the egg yolks into a mixing bowl with the caster sugar and beat until light and creamy. Stir in the crème fraiche and lemon zest. Add the sifted flour and baking powder.
- In a separate bowl, whisk 4 egg whites until stiff, then them fold into the cake mix.
- Pour into the tin and bake for 35-40 minutes until the cake feels firm to the touch. Cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then turn out and cool completely. Dust with icing sugar and serve.